Electric Neck Massager Kills Woman
This is no urban myth: A 37-year-old doctor was accidentally strangled by the electronic neck massager she was using. A freak accident claimed the life of a Parkland woman on Christmas Eve, prompting the Broward Sheriff’s Office and Broward Medical Examiner’s Office to open an investigation into the bizarre incident.
Reports indicated Dr. Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson, who spent the night of Dec. 24, 2010 wrapping Christmas gifts, made use of an electronic neck massager to alleviate the stress on her neck.
When Ferrari-Gegerson’s husband, Kenneth Gegerson came home around 9 p.m., he found his wife unresponsive on the floor of their bedroom. Gegerson subsequently called 911.
Emergency medical services (EMS) personnel were dispatched to the home, located in the Pinetree Estates neighborhood of Parkland, where they pronounced Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson dead.
An electronic neck massager was found on the floor in close proximity to Ferrari-Gegerson. BSO investigators and officials from the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office appear to believe the neck massager might have become tangled on the victim’s necklace before tightening around her neck and strangling her to death.